All the dust is finally starting to settle with our team setting up as the new “controllers” of the project and development has been keeping us pretty busy, but we are pretty psyched to be able to get this indev push of multiplayer out to you guys. Hooray, TUG with your friends!
This first phase is only survival mode, with creative to follow next week. And keep in mind, we still have a lot to do with networking alone, so expect some of the usual bug shenanigans (listed below). We really do need the help identifying issues with the game on many types of hardware, so please post those reports to the forums or send em over to [email protected] We will be watching and listening and pushing out fixes over the course of the next couple of weeks as they arise.
Also important to keep in mind, multiplayer in this iteration is still fairly early, so don’t expect crazy furry parties just yet. With more time and more tech, the experience and player count will improve. As to what that count is, we still cannot say… We are in new frontiers with the networking inside and such a heavy focus on physics AND voxels, so lots to see through development.
In addition to pushing out fixes for multiplayer next week, we are also gonna be pretty slammed getting ready for PAX S, so hang in there if we are not as speedy to get back or as active in the forums as usual.
That’s about it for now guys! Enjoy trolling your friends!
Found bugs or just nerd raging? Send our lead programmer a tweet @auti0. If it’s hugs then tweet me @inoritewtf
Don’t have InDev branch? Opt-in here
Note: Creative Mode is currently being reworked. While it is available in the menu, it will crash the game. It is our next priority.
The save system has been updated so any older save games will be not be valid.
- Multiplayer is back. We’d recommend playing at maximum around 4-5 players. You will most likely be able to play with a few more, but the Server will likely get performance issues
- The Menu CEGUI Lua and Gameplay Lua have been separated into different VMs. Leaving a game will cause the Gameplay Lua to be fully deleted and re-created on a new game launch. The Menu VM is maintained at all times.
- Many of the existing GUIs in the game have been ported to CEGUI
- Put in an intermediary fix for black triangle textures on sharp edged cube voxels that share a single edge
- Added console commands for /ban, /kick, /banlist, and /unban
- Added a console /unstuck command that teleports you a short distance directly forward
- Changes in generation to fix resource issues and sparse biome disbursement
- Some items’ (tools, weapons, 2 handed objects, and food) hand attachment offsets have been fixed
- Durability values for various tools and weapons have been adjusted
- Black Rock has been added to generation
- Sound issues on the AI have been fixed
- Crude Beds cannot be used by multiple players simultaneously
- Very large terrain cracks are fixed, small terrain cracks might still occur on cell boundaries
- Added in a temporary fix to black-triangles on voxel normals. Still some blending issues remain
- Fixed biome-weight determination for object population
- Fixed a very, very rare startup crash caused by multi-threaded operations
- Fixed offsets for items in hand
- Massive Terrain overhaul to support multi-player. Terrain generates faster, saves far less data, modifies more quickly, and handles tasks more cleanly in all modes
- Massive overhaul to LUA garbage-collection logic and script processing to get better performance out of the engine
- Many various optimizations to billboard creation and rendering
- Overall many areas of the engine have been tuned and re-tweaked to perform more optimally
Work In Progress
- Creative Mode
- Dedicated Servers
- Fall damage temporarily has been disabled
- Additional terrain modification improvements to remove floating, 2d, and non-diggable bits of terrain
- Single Player and Multiplayer names are different
- Single Player and Multiplayer maps are essentially the same. Single Player simply does not allow additional players to join.
- If the games crashes while the game saves, it can potentially damage that world save causing corrupted cell terrain data or user inventory.
- If you get a port is in use error when trying to run Single Player, another program is running in port 6600. Free up that port, or start a Multiplayer game with a different port number
- There is a potential Client-side crash when you first join a server if other players are performing actions (especially terrain manipulation). If people on the server hold off on actions until the player joins, the player should join with no problems
- There is a potential Client-side crash if they die very far away from the Server’s location
- Clients can get desynced from the Server causing objects and terrain modifications to not appear. When this occurs, reconnecting to the Server should fix the issue
- If a Server shuts down while Clients are still connected, the Clients may crash
- Clients will see red lines at the base of characters showing where physics capsule is heading to
- If clients are out of visual range of a set Return Stone position, a lua error will pop up. Clicking okay should clear the error and allow you to continue
- Hand held torches don’t scare away Cats. They currently need to be dropped
- When returning to an area out of visual range or reloading a save, some objects may not load correctly. Reloading the game should fix this; multiple reloads may be needed
- If you plant at night, the sapling will not grow to full size when the daylight arrives
- If you pick a fruit as it is still on the tree/vine, no more of that fruit will grow. They will grow if you wait for it to drop from the tree.
- Clients cannot see the target capsule for Cats and Goat. Clients can still damage and harvest them, but they just don’t have visual feedback to do so.
- The default keybind (ctrl+U) for the in-game toggle UI doesn’t work; if you rebind it to another key, it will work
- Torch FX is getting detached from the torch
- Fruit trees may create too much
- Sometimes objects will load in with no textures
- Objects can generate above and below the terrain level
- Goats can get stuck travelling to food far out of their normal range which may lead to many goats appearing in one location
- Players are spawning in with the exact same head and headwear
- When Clients die, their hand item may drop at the Server’s position
- When a Client’s inventory is full, if they eat a fruit, the seed will appear at the Server’s position
- Cabbage Traps do not capture any client players.
- Rarely objects will turn into another random object
- When in your inventory, table type objects all have durability bars even though they do not wear out