Its been quite a while since we have brought a build off of indev and into the main branch, so this update is a really big deal for us. We have gone through quite a lot in the past several months, and it feels great being able to hit this milestone with the engine getting the first phase of multiplayer running, and letting all of you guys enjoy TUG with your friends *cough*.
We moved new terrain into the main branch, and its faster than its ever been. With that, we also have got some non blocky blocks within the world for various interactions in survivor and a bit of an overhaul on controls in creative mode, to allow you to scroll through shapes. Its all still a bit crude, but it will help get things done. This is a big step for us, but its nowhere near the last… lots of big stuff is still on the way.
A big chunk of our team is on their way to PAX South today, and setting up to show off some progress to the gaming community, so this is a big deal for us. You can visit us at booth #1483. With this milestone, we are also pushing that price increase we have been talking about for some time. But, to allow some last minute backers/contributors/buyers/people, we are putting the game on sale at the $19.99 price point (which means its gonna sit at $10 for a while). Not sure if we are going to do a price increase again… but as we did in this case, we will share those thoughts as soon as we know… it will all just come down to how far we can push this project.
Below, you can check out a descriptive list of things we’ve fixed and still need fixing. You will see some more focus on features and content with the next few updates, and the occasional hot fixes. And If you come across any errors, crashes, or weird instances that just don’t seem right, feel free to let us know on our forums or contact us [email protected].
As always send all your cuddles to me on the twitters @inoritewtf and any potential nerd rage to @joshuabrookover, hes one of our new engineers… and he needs a good hazing. Also, gratz to Cobell who was moved up from PM to Producer on TUG! (get a twitter already… GOSH).
- New Terrain Engine
- New UI System using CEGUI
- Expanded Mod capabilities
- Return Stone
- New AI Characters
- Significantly changed controls
- Creative Mode is now functioning and multiplayer ready
- Fixed several window focus issues
- Fixed some display errors with the Load Game and Delete Game menus
- UI Toggling should now work by default (without needing to rebind the key)
- Using the ‘h’ key to move your hand item into your backpack should now add that item into any available stack
- The Debug console should now be disabled by default
- You can once again create copies of your saves and have them appear on the Load Game menus
- Fixed an error pop up with crafted Leaf Backpacks
- Stability updates when creating, leaving, or exiting a game
- Server’s entering the menus will not stop the processing of the game world
- Fixed an error pop up with the Return Stone being set and used when very far from other players
- Fixed a crash when a player tried to join a server where other players were actively digging and performing other actions
- Fixed the issue where generated objects could appear above and below the terrain
- Fixed an issue where the Sun was piercing through the distance fog and terrain
- Fixed some seams when altering terrain
- Fixed a some terrain desync issues
- Rock cannot be directly tilled
- Fixed issues where a Client’s hand item or Inventory overflow would appear at the Server’s location
- Fixed issue where Clients will see red lines at the base of characters showing where physics capsule is heading to
- Fixed an issue where consumable potions were consuming a charge when trying to place them
- When Clients die, their hand item does not drop at the Server’s position
- Players do not spawn in with the exact same head and headwear
- Removed the durability display for several objects that did not wear out on use
- Players should see other Players crouching properly now
- Player now has animation and sound when taking damage
- Quick swapping to another item while in Z placement will now exit the placement mode
- Fuel (in a Fire Pit and Stone Furnaces) should now save
- Fixed an issue with multiple death notices appearing
- Return Stone should save it’s return position correctly between game sessions
- The size of a voxel with a max stack count has been scaled small
- Sound plays correctly for the brown geyser and for a failed craft at the alchemy table
- Fixed an issue where spawn locations after using a bed were being reset
- Predators now again properly respect torches held in the player’s hand
- Spawn rate of Mushroom Man slightly increased
Fruit and Growables
- Generated trees should no longer have extra, duplicated fruit
- Plucked fruit should have proper icons
- Fixed an issue with growable plants and harvesting their fruit if it was still on the vine/tree
- Fixed an issue with growable plants not growing (during the day) if they were planted at night
- Growable plants should not have their growth states interrupted if you leave/resume the game before it has fully grown
- Adjusted the Cabbage Trap’s growth times
- Greatly improved performance of Terrain
- Improved performance of Lua Scripts
- Minor performance improvements to Rendering
Work In Progress
- Multiple Creative Mode quickslot bars
- Cabbage Trap functionality
- Weapon Buffs
- Tool and Weapon damage states
- Particle FX on certain objects
- Some keybinds do not work unless you delete you user_config.txt file
- Sometimes you lose the ability to change the place/dig voxel size. Reloading into that world will fix it
- Single Player and Multiplayer names are different
- Single Player and Multiplayer maps are essentially the same. Single Player simply does not allow additional players to join.
- If Clients all join at the same time, the Server may lock up
- If the games crashes while the game saves, it can potentially damage that world save causing corrupted cell terrain data or user inventory.
- If you get a port is in use error when trying to run Single Player, another program is running in port 6600. Free up that port, or start a Multiplayer game with a different port number
- Clients can get desynced from the Server causing objects and terrain modifications to not appear. When this occurs, reconnecting to the Server should fix the issue
- If a Server shuts down while Clients are still connected, the Clients may crash
- When returning to an area out of visual range or reloading a save, some objects may not load correctly. Reloading the game should fix this; multiple reloads may be needed
- Torch FX is getting detached from the torch
- Sometimes objects will load in with no textures
- Goats can get stuck travelling to food far out of their normal range which may lead to many goats appearing in one location
- Cabbage Traps grow into a closed state
- Rarely objects will turn into another random object
- In Creative, going going full screen will shift the relative location of the quickslot bar and inventory
- Clients that crash may sometimes leave a body in the server
A small update that is primarily bug fixes. The biggest addition to this update was the new post processing effects, HDR and Bloom! Discuss the new patch on our forums here!
- HDR and Bloom added to the game
- Balance bug fixed for the cane staff
- Removed health regeneration
- Added thorns to existing cactus models
- Modified models/textures for several weapon and tool damage states
- Fix put in for player death notifications and drops occurring multiple times
- Fix put in for a crash after turning into a wisp in a Survival Games match
- More server stability
- If a player connects to a game, doesn’t spectate, and remains in the lobby when a Survival match ends, the game does not end until that player joins or leaves the server
- Mouse button 3-4 can’t be bound to actions
- Client can crash if you resize the window manually
- Game can crash if USB headphones are plugged in while TUG is running
- Saved World list doesn’t update properly after a world has been loaded/created
- 3rd-person camera temporarily disabled
- 32 bit and 64 bit clients cannot play with each other
- Sprint cannot be currently remapped
- Physics objects do not react after they have settled from their initial movement
- Certain world generations have terrifyingly high/deep columns of ground types
- Rarely, when a player spawns in a game, they can spawn inside of (and be trapped in) an object
- Some special characters do not display properly when entered into chat
Questions? Comments? Discuss the new Patch notes in this forum thread!
- More fantastical environments pieces.
- Added unique bamboo log resources when chopping down bamboo trees.
- Improved UX for inventory and crafting.
- Combat FX.
- Updated Wisp FX.
- More Destruction FX.
- More Environmental FX.
- More plant life variety.
- Fixed texture issue with the Moon.
- Glowy Stuff!
- Added the 2 handed cane staff weapon.
- New blended animations for movement.
- Texture polish pass.
- Added new control scheme to Creative mode flight. To raise or lower your character press Space or C respectively…. WASD will move you forward and sided to side while flying.
- Server GUI and admin tools.
- Spectator mode added to server matches.
- Health, Stamina and Hunger meter added to track various player stats and added the ability to adjust these stats through weapon, tool and other resource uses.
- Certain objects can now be used as consumable food sources.
- Durability added to weapons and tools.
- Damage states added for weapons and tools. As the durability of an item degrades, the tool or weapon will change to reflect its new state in addition to FX and sounds to accompany the modification.
- Combat balance pass to adjust for new player meters and weapon damage values.
- Added new gameplay altering attributes to the various weapons including stamina drain, weapon swing speed modifiers and weapon reach.
- Adjusted names to match new variations for crafted tools and weapons.
World Biome Changes:
- Cleaned up list of game objects in creative mode to support survival mode resource balancing and to remove any unsupported tools and weapons.
- Removed several miscellaneous objects/items from the game that aren’t craftable or found naturally in the game.
- Balanced the generation list for biomes that can be used as survival mode maps.
- Performed a resource balancing pass for all game objects in supported biomes.
- Adjusted the Red Cliffs biome to have Joshua Trees in order to balance the distribution of wood resources throughout the game.
- Adjusted the Mushroom objects to be destroyed rather than collected until resources for these objects become available.
- Adding Thorny Vines as a binding agent in recipes in addition to Vines until more resources become available in game.
- Sometimes player death notifications will occur multiple times.
- Mouse button 3-4 can’t be bound to actions.
- Client can crash if you resize the window manually.
- Game can crash if USB headphones are plugged in while TUG is running.
- Saved World list doesn’t update properly after a world has been loaded/created.
- 3rd-person camera temporarily disabled.
- 32 bit and 64 bit clients cannot play with each other.
- Sprint cannot be remapped.
- Physics objects do not react after they have settled from their initial movement.
- Certain world generations have terrifyingly high/deep columns of ground types.
- Rarely, when a player spawns in a game, they can spawn inside of (and be trapped in) an object.
- Some special characters do not display properly when entered into chat.
- Rarely, the game will crash when moving around as a wisp (not a purely spectating wisp).
New patch is out that fixes a few of the issues that were introduced in the last update:
- fixed 32-bit builds not being able to interact with the world
- fixed Creative mode placement issues
- darkness is now properly applied underground
- clouds now properly sort
Forum thread here.